- Principal Investigator, Informatics and Bio-computing
Dr. Vincent Ferretti's expertise is in bioinformatics with experience in both large-scale software development and computational genomics.
As Associate Director, Bioinformatics Software Development, Dr. Ferretti is heading the software infrastructure development of the International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC) Data Coordination Center, which is responsible for building the consortium‘s databases and public data web portal. Dr. Ferretti is also leading the development of an OICR bioinformatics infrastructure for personalized cancer medicine in collaboration with the University Health Network-Princess Margaret Cancer Centre in Toronto. Dr. Ferretti also conducts an independent research program with the objective of developing innovative genome-wide bioinformatics tools to identify new viruses as causative agents in human cancer. His laboratory is developing the CaPSID platform allowing the identification of viral sequences in tumour genomes and transcriptomes generated by next generation sequencing technologies.
Dr. Ferretti is contributing to several research projects in genomic epidemiology. He is Co-Principal Investigator of the Maelstrom Research program. It is within this context that he currently leads an independent software development program, called OBiBa (www.obiba.org), which aims to provide the international biobanking community with a free and high-quality open source biobank information management system. OBiBa software is used by several biobanks and has been selected as the main IT platform of the EU-FP7 funded project BioSHaRE-EU, which has a mission to standardize and harmonize data from some of the largest biobanks in Europe.
|2008 -||Principal Investigator and Senior Scientist, Associate Director, Bioinformatics Software Development, Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR).|
|2007 - 2010||Honorary Research Fellow in the Genomic Epidemiology Research Group within, The School of Translational Medicine, University of Manchester.|
|2005 - 2008||Adjunct Professor, School of Computer Science, McGill University.|
|2002 - 2008||Chief Bioinformatician, Génome Québec.|
|1998 - 2002||Director of Bioinformatics, Targanta Therapeutics Inc..|
|1994 - 1997||Postdoctoral fellow in computational biology, Mathematical Research Center of Université de Montréal.|
|1994||PhD in Mathematics, Université de Montréal.|
- Tran B, Bedard P, Brown A, Siu L, Winquist E, Goss G, Holte S, Welch S, Hirle H, Zhang T, Stein L, Ferretti V, Watt S, Jiao W, Ghai S, Shaw P, Petrocelli T, Hudson TJ, Neel B, Onetto N, McPherson J, Kamel-Reid S, Dancey JE.
Feasibility Study of Molecular Profiling in Patients with Advanced Solid Cancers using Somatic Mutation Genotype and High-Throughput Targeted Gene Sequencing.
- International Journal of Cancer. DOI 10. 1002/ijc.27817.2012. Accepted.
- Borozan I, Wilson S, Blanchette P, Laflamme P, Watt SN, Kryzanowski P, Sircoulomb F, Rottapel R, Branton PE, Ferretti V.
CaPSID: A bioinformatics platform for computational pathogen sequence identification in human genomes and transcriptomes.
- BMC Bioinformatics. 2012 Aug 17. DOI 10.1186/1471-2105-23-206
- Murtagh MJ, Demir I, Jenkings KN, Wallace SE, Murtagh BP, Boniol M, Bota M, LaFlamme P, Boffetta P, Ferretti V, Burton PR.
Securing the data economy: Translating privacy and enacting security in the development of DataSHIELD
- Public Health Genomics. 2012; 15: 243-253
- Adamusiak T, Parkinson H, Muilu J, Roos E, Joeri van der Velde K, Thorisson GA, Byrne M, Pang C, Gollapudi S, Ferretti V, Hillege H, Brookes AJ, Swertz MA.
Pheno-OM and Pheno-TAB: Universal Syntax Solutions for the Integration, Search and Exchange of Phenotype Information.
- Human Mutation. 2012 May; 33(5): 867-873.
- Fortier I, Doiron D, Little J, Ferretti V, L’Heureux F, Stolk RP, Knoppers BM, Hudson TJ, Burton PR.
Is rigorous retrospective harmonization possible? Application of the DataSHaPER approach across 53 large studies.
- International Journal of Epidemiology. 2011 Oct; 40(5):1314-28.
- Wolfson M, Wallace SE, Masca N, Rowe G, Sheehan NA, Ferretti V, LaFlamme P, Tobin MD, Macleod J, Little J, Fortier I, Knoppers BM, Burton PR.
DataSHIELD: resolving a conflict in contemporary bioscience-performing a pooled analysis of individual-level data without sharing the data.
- International Journal of Epidemiology. 2010 Oct; 39(5):1372-82.