Medical Imaging Instrumentation and Software Project
This platform builds upon expertise developed in integrating images from different imaging modalities and image guided biopsy. For example, 3D ultrasound guided biopsy instrumentation and techniques for the prostate, breast, and liver will be developed. These will utilize multi-modality registration software tools that will improve biopsy planning, recording of biopsy locations in 3D, which are essential for repeat biopsy and treatment planning, biopsy guidance to specifically target or avoid specific locations, and targeted biopsy of suspicious lesions identified using other imaging modalities such as magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRI) and positron emission tomography (PET).
- To develop multi-modality image registration software and more accurate and intraprocedurally multi-modality guided 3D biopsy procedures to reduce false negatives because of sampling small or diffuse cancer and pre-cancerous lesions, and improve therapy planning first in prostate cancer, and later in breast and liver cancer.
- To develop multi-modality guided 3D biopsy and cell implantation techniques for use in pre-clinical research with animal models.
- Multi-modality Non-rigid Image Registration: FEM-Based, Fast-multi-modality, Validation
- 3D Multi-modality Guided Trans-rectal Prostate Biopsy System
- Computer Controlled Trans-Perineal Prostate Biopsy System
- Hand-Held 3D US Guided Biopsy System
- Computer Controlled Interventional System for Preclinical Applications
- MR-guided Prostate Therapy System
- Accurate FEM-based Registration Biopsy Planning and Validation
- Real-time Multi-modality Registration for Biopsy Guidance
Lead Principal Investigator
Dr. Aaron Fenster, Robarts Research Institute, University of Western Ontario
Dr. Terry Peters, Robarts Research Institute, University of Western Ontario
Dr. Kristy Brock, University Health Network, STTARR Facility