The technology required for cancer research has become increasingly more complex over the past several years. Accordingly, the development of innovative solutions to handle the large and complicated datasets these new technologies generate has become an essential part of the cancer research process. OICR’s Informatics and Bio-computing Program, led by Dr. Lincoln Stein, integrates and interprets this data, developing visualization tools to turn raw data into meaningful information for biologists, clinicians and trainees. Francis Ouellette will contribute to this program by integrating new data types with other publicly available molecular data. Ouellette is also the Scientific Coordinator of the Canadian Bioinformatics Workshop series.
|2013 -||Editor, PLOS Computational Biology Education.|
|2011 -||Associate Professor, Department of Cell and Systems Biology, University of Toronto.|
|2008 -||Associate Editor, Database: The Journal of Biological Databases and Curation.|
|2007 -||Associate Director and Senior Scientist, Informatics and Bio-computing, Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR).|
|1998 -||Scientific Coordinator, Canadian Bioinformatics Workshops series., Canadian Bioinformatics Workshops.|
|2004 - 2007||Associate Director, UBC/Simon Fraser University (SFU) Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR) Bioinformatics Training Program for Health Research, Simon Fraser University (SFU).|
|2004 - 2007||Director, UBC Bioinformatics Center (UBiC).|
|2004 - 2007||Associate Professor in Medical Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia.|
|2002 - 2007||Associate Professor, UBC’s Michael Smith Laboratories.|
|2002 - 2007||Associate Director, Genome BC Bioinformatics.|
|1998 - 2007||Director, Bioinformatics core facility for the Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics (CMMT).|
|1993 - 1998||GenBank coordinator, National Centre for Biotechnology Information, National Institute for Health Research.|
- Creixell P, Reimand J, Haider S, Wu G, Shibata T, Vazquez M, Mustonen V, Gonzalez-Perez A, Pearson J, Sander C, Raphael BJ, Marks DS, Ouellette BF, Valencia A, Bader GD, Boutros PC, Stuart JM, Linding R, Lopez-Bigas N, Stein LD Mutation Consequences and Pathway Analysis working group of the International Cancer Genome Consortium.
Pathway and network analysis of cancer genomes.
- Nat Methods. 2015 Jun 30;12(7):615-21.
- Go to Pathway and network analysis of cancer genomes.
- Budd A, Corpas M, Brazas MD, Fuller JC, Goecks J, Mulder NJ, Michaut M, Ouellette BF, Pawlik A, Blomberg N.
A quick guide for building a successful bioinformatics community.
- PLoS Comput Biol. 2015 Feb 5;11(2):e1003972.
- Go to A quick guide for building a successful bioinformatics community.
- Milius D, Dove ES, Chalmers D, Dyke SO, Kato K, Nicolás P, Ouellette BF, Ozenberger B, Rodriguez LL, Zeps N, Joly Y.
The International Cancer Genome Consortium's evolving data-protection policies.
- Nat Biotechnol. 2014 Jun;32(6):519-23.
- Go to The International Cancer Genome Consortium's evolving data-protection policies.
- Fox JA, Ouellette BF.
Education in computational biology today and tomorrow.
- PLoS Comput Biol. 2013;9(12):e1003391.
- Go to Education in computational biology today and tomorrow.
- Gonzalez-Perez A, Mustonen V, Reva B, Ritchie GR, Creixell P, Karchin R, Vazquez M, Fink JL, Kassahn KS, Pearson JV, Bader GD, Boutros PC, Muthuswamy L, Ouellette BF, Reimand J, Linding R, Shibata T, Valencia A, Butler A, Dronov S, Flicek P, Shannon NB, Carter H, Ding L, Sander C, Stuart JM, Stein LD, Lopez-Bigas N; International Cancer Genome Consortium Mutation Pathways and Consequences Subgroup of the Bioinformatics Analyses Working Group
Computational approaches to identify functional genetic variants in cancer genomes
- Nat Methods. 2013 Aug;10(8):723-9.
- Go to Computational approaches to identify functional genetic variants in cancer genomes
- Brazas MD, Yim D, Yeung W, Ouellette BF.
A decade of Web Server updates at the Bioinformatics Links Directory: 2003-2012.
- Nucleic Acids Res. 2012 Jul;40(Web Server issue):W3-W12.
- Go to A decade of Web Server updates at the Bioinformatics Links Directory: 2003-2012.