CCO/OICR Health Services Research Network: A Platform for Technology Assessment.
Project Leader: Craig Earle, MD, M.Sc.
• Director, Health Services Research Program, Cancer Care Ontario and the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research;
• Senior Scientist, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences;
• Scientist, Clinical Epidemiology -- Odette cancer research program, Sunnybrook Research Institute;
• Professor of Medicine, University of Toronto;
• Medical Oncologist, Gastrointestinal Oncology, Odette Cancer Centre.
Through a consultative process, decision- and policy-makers were enlisted in addition to researchers and representatives from OICR and CCO to identify priority research topics in cancer health services research. Consequently, the CCO Patterns of Care Network was re-launched in 2008 as the CCO/OICR Health Services Research Network with a theme of doing policy-relevant, actionable research, imbued with integrated knowledge translation. This network is able to build on existing infrastructure, while at the same time engaging new investigators and stakeholders and expanding the scope of research into new directions through a competitive Request for Proposals (RFP) process that has supported research studies ranging from small pilot projects to larger multi-institutional and multi-year efforts. Most importantly, this endeavour has created the collaborations and data resources that will be needed to evaluate the technologies coming out of OICR discovery programs and facilitate their rapid implementation in practice.