The technology available for treating cancer with radiation is changing rapidly - over the last 10 years there have been major changes in the way we locate cancer and also in the way we design personalized radiation treatments for patients. These developments have made radiation treatment more accurate, more effective, faster and safer.
Researchers strive to bring these new developments to patients as efficiently and safely as possible, ultimately to improve patient care. Dr. Palma's research focuses on new imaging technologies used with radiotherapy to improve tumour targeting and deliver higher doses of radiotherapy than previously possible, and new imaging methods that can better assess response after treatment. Dr. Palma's work also focuses on empowering patients to seek out high-quality cancer care.
Dr. Palma is involved in several cutting-edge clinical trial. He co-leads the SABR-COMET randomized trial assessing the role of stereotactic radiotherapy in oligometastatic disease, and the ORATOR trial, comparing transoral robotic surgery vs. precision radiation for cancers of the tonsil and base of tongue. Dr. Palma also chairs the Canadian Pulmonary Radiotherapy Investigators Group, which runs radiation-related lung cancer clinical trials and includes central collection of all imaging studies.
|2010 -||Clinician-Scientist II, Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR).|
|2010 -||Radiation Oncologist, London Regional Cancer Program (LRCP).|
|2010 -||Assistant Professor, Western University.|
|2011||PhD, Department of Radiation Oncology, VU University.|
|2010||M.Sc., Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health.|
|2004||MD, Western University.|
|2004 - 2009||Resident in Radiation Oncology, University of British Columbia.|
- Mattonen SA, Palma DA, Johnson C, Louie AV, Landis M, Rodrigues G, Chan I, Etemad-Rezai R, Yeung TP, Senan S, Ward AD.
Detection of Local Cancer Recurrence After Stereotactic Ablative Radiation Therapy for Lung Cancer: Physician Performance Versus Radiomic Assessment.
- Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Apr 1;94(5):1121-8.
- Palma DA, Salama S, Lo SS, Senan S, Treasure T, Govinden R, Weichselbaum R
The oligometastatic state – separating truth from wishful thinking
- Nat Rev Clin Oncol.2014 Sep;11(9):549-57
- Palma DA, Senan S, Tsujino K, Barriger RB, Rengan R, Moreno M, Bradley JD, Kim TH, Ramella S, Marks LB, De Petris L, Stitt L, Rodrigues G.
Predicting radiation pneumonitis after chemoradiation therapy for lung cancer: An international individual patient data meta-analysis
- Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013 Feb 1;85(2):444-50
- Palma D, Visser O, Lagerwaard F, Beldrbos J, Slotman B, Senan S
The impact of introducing stereotactic lung radiotherapy for elderly patients with Stage I NSCLC: A population-based time-trend analysis
- International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 2010; Oct 5. [epub ahead of print]
- Palma D, Vollans E, James K, Nakano S, Moiseenko V, Shaffer R, et al
Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT) for delivery of prostate radiotherapy: comparison with Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) and 3-Dimensional Conformal Radiotherapy (3D-CRT)
- International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. 2008; Nov 15;72(4):996-1001