- Is an independent, not-for-profit corporation;
- Focuses on the translation of ideas into products, services and improved clinical practice;
- With its collaborators and partners has an annual budget of more than $160 million;
- Is headquartered in the MaRS Centre in the heart of Toronto's Discovery District;
- Along with its collaborators and partners, supports more than 1,400 researchers, clinician scientists, research staff and trainees at MaRS and at Ontario's leading universities and hospital-based research institutes.
The Institute's clinical and translational research activities are strategically chosen to focus on areas of the highest potential impact on patients. they build on Ontario's existing global strengths – medical imaging, clinical trials, cancer stem cells and bio-therapeutics. OICR has complemented these strengths with world-leading programs and facilities in genomics, bioinformatics and high-throughput screening.
In addition to supporting research OICR maintains its translational pipeline through shared infrastructure, resources and world-class expertise along with sufficient funding for these activities. Staff on OICR's commercialization team engages directly with scientists to advance their inventions to clinical application. OICR also actively seeks industry partners and private investors to participate in bringing discoveries to market.