Dr. Sagi Abelson
OICR Investigator I
Dr. Sagi Abelson’s work aims to understand the extrinsic selective pressures and cell-intrinsic mechanisms governing clonal dominance and cell transformation in healthy tissues and cancer-prone diseases. Better identification and characterization of the programs that lead to cancer will provide opportunities for early cancer detection and prevention.
Dr. Abelson’s work focuses on the analysis of genomics and other age-related quantitative factors to understanding the aetiology of cancer for the purpose of risk estimation. To improve patient care and outcome, the team seek to develop and bring advanced sequencing methodologies and bioinformatics tools into clinical use.
- Investigator I, OICR
- Assistant Professor, Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Toronto
- Method development
- Cancer genomics
- DNA sequencing technologies
- Translational research
- Early cancer detection and risk predictions
- Abelson S, Collord G, Ng SWK, …, Shlush LI. Prediction of acute myeloid leukaemia risk in healthy individuals. Nature. 2018;559(7714):400-404.
- Shlush LI, Mitchell A, Heisler L, Abelson S, …, Dick JE. Tracing the origins of relapse in acute myeloid leukaemia to stem cells. Nature. 2017;547(7661):104-108.
- Rostoker R, Abelson S, Genkin I, …, LeRoith D. CD24(+) cells fuel rapid tumor growth and display high metastatic capacity. Breast Cancer Res. 2015;17:78.
- Abelson S. Eureka-DMA: an easy-to-operate graphical user interface for fast comprehensive investigation and analysis of DNA microarray data. BMC Bioinformatics. 2014;15:53.
- Abelson S, Shamai Y, Berger L, …, Tzukerman M. Niche-dependent gene expression profile of intratumoral heterogeneous ovarian cancer stem cell populations. PLoS ONE. 2013;8(12):e83651.
- Abelson S, Shamai Y, Berger L, …, Tzukerman M. Intratumoral heterogeneity in the self-renewal and tumorigenic differentiation of ovarian cancer. Stem Cells. 2012;30(3):415-24.
See Dr. Abelson’s recent publications on PubMed.
Previous experience and education
- Post-Doctoral fellow, Princess Margaret Cancer Center, University Health Network
- PhD, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Faculty of Medicine, Israel
- MSc, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Faculty of Medicine, Israel
- BSc, Biotechnology Engineering, Ort Braude, Israel
Opportunities to collaborate
To collaborate with Dr. Abelson, please contact him directly.
Visit OICR’s Collaborative Research Resources directory for more opportunities to collaborate with OICR researchers.
Dr. Sagi Abelson