The Window-of-Opportunity (WOO) Network is a collaboration between surgical, medical and radiation oncologists and Ontario’s cancer research community to conduct clinical trials in treatment-naive patients prior to cancer surgery. WOO trials are a powerful way to evaluate the effectiveness and mechanisms of action of potential anticancer therapies, to accelerate delivery of new treatments to patients. Investigators are invited to submit WOO trial concepts by February 7th, 2022, at 12 noon. Please refer to the Portfolio Concept Call and application form for more information.
The WOO Network was formed in 2020 under the guidance of a multidisciplinary steering committee. Prioritized WOO studies are provided with funding and support for trial development, translational analysis and knowledge dissemination and leverage OICR’s powerful and standardized multi-omic capabilities. The WOO Network builds study capacity in Ontario through mentorship of new investigators, industry partnerships, data analytics and shared network expertise. The current focus of the WOO Network is to identify agents that rapidly modulate and enhance the immune response in cancer patients.
The initial scientific focus of the Network is immunomodulation, to understand the biology of how therapeutics can elicit an immune response and alter the immune environment in tumours. This is critical to make immunotherapy more effective, less toxic, and more durable.
Applications will be accepted from oncology researchers affiliated with not-for-profit research organizations in Ontario. Concepts will be evaluated based on the following key criteria of WOO Network trials:
- Multi-site, presurgical study in treatment-naive or early-stage recurrence patients
- Demonstrated drug safety profile
- Patient engagement is embedded in the proposal, either through patient engagement at the Principal Investigator’s (PI) healthcare centre or in collaboration with OICR’s Patient and Family Advisory Council
- Highly engaged Principal Investigator, inclusion of a surgeon as lead or co-PI is strongly recommended
- Completion of patient accrual within two years
- Inclusion of trial data in WOO Network’s data platforms
- Alignment with current WOO Network research focus: Immunomodulation with emphasis on the identification of novel biomarkers of immune response
Up to $450,000 total per trial, over two years.
- Concept deadline: February 7, 2022, 12 p.m. EST
- Concept presentation: March 29, 2022, during Network Meeting (10 a.m. – 12 p.m. EST)
- Full Application deadline: May 16, 2022, 12:00 p.m. EST
Questions: Contact WOONetwork@oicr.on.ca