Dr. Masoom Haider
Dr. Masoom Haider’s major research focus is abdominal and pelvic magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) with a special interest in therapeutic response assessment and quantitative imaging (also called “radiomics”) of cancer.
Tumour sites of interest are prostate, pancreatic, kidney and liver. Haider has held peer-reviewed grants from Prostate Cancer Canada, the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute, Cancer Care Ontario and the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research for MRI-related prostate cancer research. He is the imaging lead on national prospective MRI trials in prostate cancer and has worked on establishing guidelines for the use of multiparametric prostate MRI (mpMRI) for prostate cancer including the Pi-Rads standard for performance and interpretation of prostate mpMRI. At Sunnybrook he leads a program focused on the use of mpMRI for detection, localization and image guided biopsy of prostate cancer and is collaborating in image guided approaches to focal prostate cancer ablation that are often referred to as “the male lumpectomy”.
- Clinician-Scientist II, OICR;
- Professor of Radiology, University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medical Imaging;
- Senior Scientist, Sunnybrook Research Institute;
- Chief, Department of Medical Imaging, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre;
- Head of MRI, Department of Medical Imaging, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
- Quantitative imaging biomarkers;
- Prostate cancer;
- Imaging for therapy response assessment;
- Machine learning;
- Computer aided diagnosis (CAD).
Nam RK, Wallis CJD, Stojcic-Bendavid J, Milot L, Sherman C, Sugar L, Haider MA.
A Pilot Study to Evaluate the Role of Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Prostate Cancer Screening in the General Population.
J Urol. United States; 2016;196(2):361–366.
Langer DL, van der Kwast TH, Evans AJ, Plotkin A, Trachtenberg J, Wilson BC, Haider MA.
Prostate tissue composition and MR measurements: investigating the relationships between ADC, T2, K(trans), v(e), and corresponding histologic features.
Radiology 2010 May;255(2):485–94.
Langer DL, van der Kwast TH, Evans AJ, Trachtenberg J, Wilson BC, Haider MA.
Prostate cancer detection with multi-parametric MRI: logistic regression analysis of quantitative T2, diffusion-weighted imaging, and dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI.
J Magn Reson Imaging 2009 Aug; 30(2):327–34.
Haider MA, Chung P, Sweet J, Toi A, Jhaveri K, Menard C, Warde P, Trachtenberg J, Lockwood G, Milosevic M.
Dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging for localization of recurrent prostate cancer after external beam radiotherapy.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008 Feb; 70(2):425–30.
Haider MA, van der Kwast TH, Tanguay J, Evans AJ, Hashmi AT, Lockwood G, Trachtenberg J et al.
Combined T2-weighted and diffusion-weighted MRI for localization of prostate cancer.
AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007 Aug;189(2):323–8.
Previous experience and education
- Head of Abdominal and Pelvic MRI, Princess Margaret Hospital and the University Health Network.
Opportunities to collaborate
- Quantitative imaging of cancer (outside of the brain);
- Imaging of prostate cancer;
- Machine learning as applied to diagnostic imaging in cancer;
- Technology development in abdominal and pelvic MRI as applied to cancer;
- Improved user interfaces for image interpretation in diagnostic imaging (radiology).